Crafty Chick Knits

Ramblings about knitting, life, and whatnot.

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Showers and The Shawl Saga

Well this is a long post, but mostly because I haven't had the opportunity to post pictures in a while. First of all, a few pictures from the Bridal Shower I threw for my friend.

Look at this yummy cake



I got it from a fantastic bakery here in Seal Beach, which I highly recommend if any of you out there are in the area. They are called the Great Dane, and they make the best cakes and pastries. Yum! I was lucky enough to have left overs to keep me fed the week after the shower. I also wanted to post this picture of the quilt the Bride's mother made for her.



Isn't it beautiful? She had a little patch sewn inside with a message to the bride and groom with thier wedding date. I'm always amazed by people who quilt because that is one craft I definitely don't have the patience for.

OK, onto the saga of the Flowerbasket Shawl. My first lace project. I had been working on this thing so hard. I had to start it over three times to make sure everything was right, and after about a month of work, I knitted furiously on it last weekend until I thought it was done. I had played around with my gauge a little becuase I wanted the basket motif to be clear, and so I repeated the second chart two extra times to make sure it was big enough. Sure, it looked a little small when I was binding off, but I knew it would stretch out when I blocked it. So I blocked it.



Here's a detail of the baskets.



I lived in denial for two days while it dried, thinking it was big enough, but of course when I tried it on, it wasn't.



All that hard work for nothing!! I have a few friends who have little daughters, so maybe one day one of them can wear it. In the meantime, I may have to knit another FBS, and make it much bigger next time. I am still proud of how it came out considering it was my first project, and not an easy pattern, and of course everything is a learning experience. I'm still working on the Big Bad Baby Blanket for my cousin, and it's almost finished, so hopefully next time I post I will have a more successful FO.

Lastly, I leave you with some cute, sleepy kitty pictures. Enjoy and happy knitting!



2 Comments:

  • At 4:29 PM, Anonymous gwen said…

    don't you think it might work as a summer daytime shawl? do the ends meet in front of you? i'd just hate to see you give your beautiful work to a child! :)

     
  • At 7:07 AM, Anonymous anmiryam said…

    It's absolutely lovely and I agree with Gwen, can't you find a way to use it as a summer scarf/shawl or as a little scarf for cooler weather (I know it's never cold where you are)?

    I too am in awe of quilters.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger